To select bones while in Weight Paint mode in Blender 2.8:
- Select the Armature
- Shift select the skinned mesh
- Switch mode to Weight Paint
- Shift-Click bones to select them
* Shift double click to select bones hidden under the mesh
To mirror a skeleton (Armature) in Blender:
- Create bones for one side of the rig and name them with “.L” for Left or “.R” for right.
- Select all the bones on that side.
- In Armature Edit Mode choose:
Armature > Symmetrize
Blender will create mirrored copies of all the bones with respect to the Armature origin and flip their names to names ending with the opposite side.
- When editing properly symmetrized bones,
The X-Axis Mirror tool option will simultaneously update both sides of the Armature to maintain symmetry.
When you wish to bake your NLA animation mix into one Action,
The Bake option in the Animation tab will not work.
The way to do this is to:
- Select the object in Object Mode.
- Press Space and type ‘bake‘
- Choose Nla: Bake Action
- In the Bake dialog, select Pose, deselect Only Selected, and press OK.
- After the process, the Armature will have a new action that is the baked animation.