3ds max 2019 | V-Ray Next
A simple example of using VRayFur in 3ds max to create a furry carpet.
Download the example file here
The VRayFur is grown on a beveled surface, that has no bottom side surface to avoid growing fur at the bottom, and also because it’s unneeded.
The surface is beveled at the edges so that the fur there will grow to the sides,
And a noise modifier is applied to the surface to break its uniformity and give it a more organic shape.
* You could have a bottom surface set the fur not to grow on the bottom polys.
A combination of 3 procedural Noise maps (for each of the RGB channels) is used to create a direction map for the fur threads. the maps are added together using a VRayCompTex map.
The reason the pattern is separated to it’s RGB channels is that it allows more control.
A VRayFur direction map works like a normal map in tangent-space and this means we can’t have the blue channel be less than a value of 0.5 because that would cause the fur to grow down into the surface.
For the fur material, a VRayFastSSS2 is used to achieve a ‘fluffy’ organic look combined with a VRayDirt map to accentuate the shadows between the fur threads.
Simple snow material in V-Ray
Wood floor material in V-Ray
Maya 2018 | V-Ray 3.6
The technical steps needed to render XGen hair with V-Ray and a VRayHair3Mtl in Maya:
- in the Plugin Manager,
Make sure the xgenvray.py plugin is loaded.
* Needless to say vrayformaya.mll must be loaded too.
- Set a Project Folder and save the scene.
- In Render Settings, set the Renderer to V-Ray.
- Select an object or mesh elements and create an XGen Description.
* This can be done by clicking the Create New Description button in the XGen tab or XGen Window.
- In the XGen Output Settings set the Operation to Render and the Renderer to V-Ray.
- Edit / Design / Groom your hair.
- In the XGen window, Choose File > Export Collections or Descriptions,
And export the hair Collection and Description.
- in the XGen window, Choose File > Export Patches for Batch Render,
To export the hair cache abc (alembic) file.
- In the Hypershade, create a VRayHair3Mtl shader.
- In the Outliner, select the XGen Description.
- In the Hypershade Browser window,
RMB click the VRayHair3Mtl and choose Assign Material To Selection.
- Make sure there is a light source, and render the scene.
V-Ray for Maya and nHair
Maya 2018 | V-Ray 3.6
- Select the nHair object.
- In the Attribute Editor, in the hair system shape attributes.
Open the Attributes menu, and choose VRay > Hair Shader.
- Create a VRayMtlHair3 shader.
- Connect the shader to the Hair Shader slot under VRay Extra Attributes in the hair system Shape Node attributes.
V-Ray for Maya and XGen