3ds max 2019 | V-Ray Next
An example of varnished wood floor material in V-Ray and 3ds max.
The material uses a VRayBlendMtl with 2 connected VRayMtl sub materials to simulate a natural wood base layer coated by a glossy varnish layer.
Explanation of the material node graph:
- The wood color (Diffuse texture)
- The wood black and white detail texture (used to add reflection detail)
- The wood bump texture (actually the same as the reflection texture just color corrected to whiten most details except the lines separating the wood planks)
- The reflection texture is color corrected to to intensify it prior to it being connected to the base wood layer material:
- The reflection texture is color corrected to to decrease its intensity prior to it being connected to the varnish coat blend:
- The base layer natural wood material with the Diffuse, Reflect and Bump textures connected to it:
- The varnish coat material with the Bump texture connected to it:
* Note the Fresnel Reflections is turned off because the Fresnel reflection is calculated by the Falloff map (8)
- The Falloff map that defines the amount with which the varnish coat material covers the base wood material,
A combination of Fresnel reflection intensity/Angle with the pre-processed reflection detail map (5):
- The final VRayBlendMtl combining the base wood material with the varnish coat material using the Fresnel Falloff blend map: