3ds max 2018
There are cases where we need to have the UV borders and edges placed precisely on a certain grid. an example of this is when preparing a UV layout intended for baked lightmaps in a game engine, that should preferably be aligned to a 64 by 64 or 128 by 128 grid.
To set the Unwrap UVW editor window grid to 64 by 64:
- In the Unwrap Options window:
Set the Checker display to 64/20 which is 3.2.
Set the Grid Size to 1/64 which is 0.015625 (the numeric field displays the value rounded to 0.016)
- Turn on the grid display in View > Show Grid.
- In the Unwrap Snap Settings, make sure Grid Snap is checked.
* Hold and drag the snap button to open the Snap Settings.
- Activate Snap.
It works only in Vertex selection mode.
3ds max 2017
Use the Map Scaler (MapScalar) Object Space Modifier to make UV coordinates conform to a uniform map real-world size.
Create effective UV coordinates for angular geometrical meshes quickly by applying an Unwrap UVW modifier, and in the UV Editor, selecting all the mesh, and choosing Mapping > Flatten Mapping, and than applying a Map Scaler modifier and setting its Scale parameter to the wanted texture size..
- When applying the Map Scaler modifier to an object with deformed UV’s, it will break the UV’s in order to force consistent scale.
- If the Scale parameter matches the file’s system unit definition in Customize > Units Setup > System Units Setup, than it will effectively work as real world map scale, and allow you to set a real world texture size in the Coordinates rollout of the texture in the Material Editor.
In the UV’s menu, activate the Snap to Pixels optionץ
* Note that an initial UV layout must be created for the UVs menu to be available.