Blender 2.8 | Cycles Renderer
CG-Lion Architectural Glazing Presets Pack 1.0 is an custom architectural glazing shader I developed for Cycles render engine, that provides easy setup of real world architectural glazing surfaces, and ships with 40 ready to use material presets.
The shader has architecture-friendly real world parameters like ‘frosted‘, ‘milky‘, ‘smoked‘ glass etc., has convenient built-in inputs for effects like selective sand blasting or selective graphic coating and is internally optimized for transparent shadow casting.
CG-Lion Architectural Glazing Presets Pack 1.0 is available for purchase on Blender Market.
Realistic Spotlights for Blender & Cycles
Customizable Photo-realistic Car-paint shader for Cycles
Procedural Wood Shader for Cycles
3ds max 2019 | V-Ray Next
An example of varnished wood floor material in V-Ray and 3ds max.
The material uses a VRayBlendMtl with 2 connected VRayMtl sub materials to simulate a natural wood base layer coated by a glossy varnish layer.
Explanation of the material node graph:
- The wood color (Diffuse texture)
- The wood black and white detail texture (used to add reflection detail)
- The wood bump texture (actually the same as the reflection texture just color corrected to whiten most details except the lines separating the wood planks)
- The reflection texture is color corrected to to intensify it prior to it being connected to the base wood layer material:
- The reflection texture is color corrected to to decrease its intensity prior to it being connected to the varnish coat blend:
- The base layer natural wood material with the Diffuse, Reflect and Bump textures connected to it:
- The varnish coat material with the Bump texture connected to it:
* Note the Fresnel Reflections is turned off because the Fresnel reflection is calculated by the Falloff map (8)
- The Falloff map that defines the amount with which the varnish coat material covers the base wood material,
A combination of Fresnel reflection intensity/Angle with the pre-processed reflection detail map (5):
- The final VRayBlendMtl combining the base wood material with the varnish coat material using the Fresnel Falloff blend map:
- Fresnel Reflections
Maya 2018 | Arnold 5
An example of a basic traditional (not scanned) cloth material setup in Arnold 5 for Maya using an aiStandardSurface shader.
The shading network uses a classic angle dependent color blend to simulate the color of the cloth being washed out at grazing angle of view.
Explanation of the node graph:
- A black and white fabric weave texture that will serve as input for multiple shading channels.
* This is actually not the best example of such a pattern, and could be replaced with a much better texture.
- A remapValue node is used to set contrast to the fabric pattern (reduce contrast in this case) prior to it being multiplied with the fabric colors.
* Note that only one of the textures RGB channels is connected to the remapValue node since it’s a float (mono) processor and not RGB.
* Note that depending on the fabric texture, you may have to design different curves to achieve the right effect.
- Two colors are defined with colorConstant nodes:
A deep color as the main fabric color, and a washed out color for grazing angle view (“side color”).
- An aiFacingRatio node is used as an input for incident angle info.
* Note that in this case I checked the node’s invert option to make it behave more like other systems I’m used to (if you don’t use invert, the angle blend curve in 5 will be different..)
- A remapValue node used to set the angle blend curve or in other words, how much does the color appears washed out per change of view angle of the cloth surface.
* The longer it take the curve to become steep from left to right, the more the main color will be dominant before the washed out color will appear.
- A colorCorrect node is used in this example just as a way to convert the remapped float value back to RGB for being multiplied with the cloth colors.
* We could also connect it directly to the individual float components of the RGB colors but this way the node graph is cleaner.
- A multiplyDivide node is used to multiply the processed fabric texture with the 2 fabric colors “baking” the pattern into the color.
- A blendColors node is used to blend the 2 processed fabric colors together according to the processed facingRatio angle input.
The result is the final cloth color that is connected to the aiStandardSurface shader.
- An aiBump2d node is used to convert the fabric pattern to normal data that will be connected to the aiStandardSurface shader to produce bumps.
- An aiStandartSurface shader serving as the main shading node for this material.
* Note that under Geometry the Thin Walled option is checked so that the Subsurface layer of the shader will act as a Paper Shader rather than SSS.
* The main cloth color is connected to the SubSurface Color input.
More Arnold shading posts
Unreal Engine 4.21
To use a ‘Bump Texture’ in UE4, or in more geeky terms, derive Normal data from a supplied height map, use the NormalFromHeightMap Node.
- The height map textured is supplied via Texture Object node and not Texture Sample, and is connected to the NormalFromHeightMap‘s Height Map input.
- A numeric vale is connected to the NormalFromHeightMap‘s Normal Map Intensity input to control the intensity of the resulting Normals/Bump.
- UV coordinates for the bump map should be connected to the Coordinates input of the NormalFromHeightMap node.
3ds max 2019 | V-Ray Next | V-Ray next GPU
In V-Ray Next (4) for 3ds max, a new Metalness parameter has been added to the Reflect parameters of the VRayMtl material.
This allows for easy creation of realistic metal materials and also effectively enables a PBR workflow with V-Ray.
When the Metalness parameter is set to 1.0, the material becomes completely reflective, the Diffuse color controls the general reflection color, and the Reflect color (which should generally be set to white) controls the reflection color at grazing incidence angle.
The IOR parameter still controls how fast will the main reflection color (set by the Diffuse color) blend into the Reflection color, and I don’t know whether some form of complex Fresnel has been implemented or if it’s just a dielectric simple Fresnel blended over a reflective surface.
An excellent article on the new Feature from the Chaos Group blog:
- Fresnel Reflections
- Complex Fresnel for Blender & Cycles
- Metal material in UE4
3ds max 2017
To move clear the material in multiple objects:
- Select the objects.
- In the MaxScript Mini Listener at the bottom left of the 3ds max window,
for o in $ do (o.material = undefined)
And then press Enter
Maya 2018 | V-Ray 3.6
Connect the different texture options as inputs to a VRayMultiSubTexNode and connect it to the wanted material input.
In the VRayMultiSubTexNode attributes, set Get ID From to Random by Render ID.
* Press add new item in the VRayMultiSubTexNode attributes to add one or more inputs to the list.