To select bones while in Weight Paint mode in Blender 2.8:
- Select the Armature
- Shift select the skinned mesh
- Switch mode to Weight Paint
- Shift-Click bones to select them
* Shift double click to select bones hidden under the mesh
This has also been verified on Blender 3.6
Fast way to select every other element is to select a sequence like an edge loop or ring and than choose:
Select > Checker Deselect
This can be very helpful when needing to reduce the resolution of parts within a mesh.
Use the Select Pattern tool to select multiple objects with name similarities.
- In the 3D View in Object mode choose Select > Select Pattern…
- In the Select Pattern dialog, type a part of a name with an Asterisk to define wild cards.
For example *car* will select all objects who’s names contain the string ‘car’,
And car* will select all objects who’s names begin with the string ‘car’.