The cglSurfaceCarPaint car-paint material combines 3 layers: Base: A blend of diffuse/metallic shading with a view-angle color mix Metallic flakes: Distance blended procedural metallic flakes Clear coat: Glossy clear coat layer with built-in procedural bump irregularity
And has been tested with:
Blender & Cycles
Maya & Arnold
3ds max & V-Ray
A VRayToon node that creates a graphic contour effect on the rendered image.
A flat shader that uses surface luminance data to define color areas.
* A VRayLightMtl can be used for that.
Creating the VRayToon node:
Click the Create V-Ray Toon button in the V-Ray toolbar to create a VRayToon node.
In the VRayToon node attributes, set line thickness, color, and more graphic properties.
* if you created a VRayToon node and it’s not selected RMB click the Create V-Ray Toon button in the V-Ray toolbar and choose Select VRayToon node.
* To delete the VRayToon node, select it and press Delete.
Creating the toon shader:
Create a VRayLightMTL node as the object’s surface shader.
Create a Ramp texture node, connect it’s output color to the VRayLightMTL’s color input and delete it’s accompanying 2D placement node.
Create a surfaceLuminance node and connect it’s output to the Ramp node’s V Coord input.
Optional remapValue node between the surfaceLuminance node and the Ramp node to clamp the luminance values.
Optional floatMath node to scale or manipulate the surfaceLuminance output value.
Connect the different texture options as inputs to a VRayMultiSubTexNode and connect it to the wanted material input.
In the VRayMultiSubTexNode attributes, set Get ID From to Random by Render ID.
* Press add new item in the VRayMultiSubTexNode attributes to add one or more inputs to the list.
1) Connect a displacement map to the Displacement Shader input of the Shading Group Node.
2) Multiply the value to set the displacement amount.
3) Control Displacement Settings globally through VRay Render Settings: Edge Length:
The minimum size in pixels for new created edges.
Lower values will create more detailed geometry but cost more memory.
Per Object Displacement with more controls:
1) Add a VRay Displacement node to the object (See images).
2) Connect Displacement Map
3) For more control, and Local displacement quality settings,
In the Attributes Editor, Add VRay Displacement Control and VRay Subdivision and Displacement Quality attributes to the object (See images).
For more control and Matte Object / Shadow catching options, add VRay Object Properties to the Object (See Example)
To Create a Shadow Catcher:
1) Add VRay Object Properties to the objects (see image)
2) In the VRay Object Properties attributes, check ‘Matte Object’
3) Check Shadws
Shadow Catcher Notes:
* Artifacts in shadows while using Light Cache GI (no problem with Brute Force GI)
* When using a Dome Light, the Dome light Back ground will not show through the Matte Object but the Environment background to solve that connect the Dome light texture also to the VRay Enviroment Override.
* In order for ‘Affect Alpha’ to work and produce transparent image, ‘Alpha Contribution’ must be set to -1.
Matte Shadow and Ray Visibility can also be set through shaders, by using a VRayMtlWrapper: