Maya 2018 | V-Ray 3.6
Basic object render visibility can be set through Maya’s Render ‘Stats settings’ in the object shape node.
For more control and Matte Object / Shadow catching options, add VRay Object Properties to the Object (See Example)
To Create a Shadow Catcher:
1) Add VRay Object Properties to the objects (see image)
2) In the VRay Object Properties attributes, check ‘Matte Object’
3) Check Shadws
Shadow Catcher Notes:
* Artifacts in shadows while using Light Cache GI (no problem with Brute Force GI)
* When using a Dome Light, the Dome light Back ground will not show through the Matte Object but the Environment background to solve that connect the Dome light texture also to the VRay Enviroment Override.
* In order for ‘Affect Alpha’ to work and produce transparent image, ‘Alpha Contribution’ must be set to -1.
Matte Shadow and Ray Visibility can also be set through shaders, by using a VRayMtlWrapper:
And also by using a VRayRaySwitch texture: