Unreal Engine 4.18
A ‘Flip Book’ node in UE4 is the way to create an animated texture using a Sprite-Sheet.
Its very simple to use:
- Import a Sprite Sheet texture containing the animation frames.
- In the UE4 Material, Create a Texture Object node, and set it’s Texture property to be the Sprite Sheet texture you imported.
- Create a Flip Book node and connect the Texture Object Node to its Texture input.
- Connect numeric value constants to the Flip Book node’s Number of Rows and Number of Columns inputs to set the layout of the Sprite Sheet.
- Connect the outputs of the Flip Book node to the wanted material inputs.
The following example shows a way to create a custom Flip Book material to animate textures.
Q: Why would you do that???
A: Well the truth is I created it without knowing there is a built-in option, and found out about the Flip Book node right after I finished my own.. 😀
But it’s also a useful example of locating tile coordinates within a plane..