Maya 2018 | V-Ray 3.6
The technical steps needed to render XGen hair with V-Ray and a VRayHair3Mtl in Maya:
- in the Plugin Manager,
Make sure the xgenvray.py plugin is loaded.
* Needless to say vrayformaya.mll must be loaded too.
- Set a Project Folder and save the scene.
- In Render Settings, set the Renderer to V-Ray.
- Select an object or mesh elements and create an XGen Description.
* This can be done by clicking the Create New Description button in the XGen tab or XGen Window.
- In the XGen Output Settings set the Operation to Render and the Renderer to V-Ray.
- Edit / Design / Groom your hair.
- In the XGen window, Choose File > Export Collections or Descriptions,
And export the hair Collection and Description.
- in the XGen window, Choose File > Export Patches for Batch Render,
To export the hair cache abc (alembic) file.
- In the Hypershade, create a VRayHair3Mtl shader.
- In the Outliner, select the XGen Description.
- In the Hypershade Browser window,
RMB click the VRayHair3Mtl and choose Assign Material To Selection.
- Make sure there is a light source, and render the scene.
V-Ray for Maya and nHair